Wednesday, July 13, 2011

SHAZAM! It's the Original Captain Marvel! DC Comics!

Another fun illustration for my own amusement and education!  Here is the long-time fave, Captain Marvel, in a dramatic standing pose! I was inspired by the corner box illo of Marvel Comics' 70s sensation, THE HUMAN FLY, since both characters wear somewhat similar costumes, including that cool half-cape!


Using the FLY pose and cape as an inspiration, I next sketched out the CAPTAIN MARVEL figure in pencil, scanned that, made some notes and changes in PhotoShop, then printed the pencil art to size (below left). Once inked and finished (below right), I re-scanned into PhotoShop to begin the computer coloring!


And, here (below) is the colored version! Altho this does have some modeling and gradated coloring, I tried to keep the hues fairly simple and bright, to reflect the character's attitude! I found a logo, fiddled a bit with it's coloring, and added it as a final touch! Did you notice the minor changes I made to the good Captain's outfit? Maybe it's that FLY influence again! Click all images to enlarge!





No comments:

Post a Comment